Soul Food Advice Column
October 19, 2016
10 Most Popular Soul Food Appetizers
Do you have a favorite soul food appetizer? Or, do you ever wonder what appetizers are appropriate for your parties or special events? Well, if so, you‘re come to the right place. I have compiled a list of popular soul food appetizers that I use most often for gatherings. These familiar icons were also requested most often when I operated my Southern catering business. With the holidays approaching, these delicious appetizers will truly please any group.
Next time you have a party, try a few of these dishes. They rate high among party-goers and I promise, if you love great food, you’re love these easy appetizers.
1. Southern Fried Wings - A soul food favorite. Southern Fried Wings continue to be the talk of any party.
2. Hot Wings - An old time favorite - No matter what the season hot wings just seem to fit just about any occasion. This recipe rates high among party-goers.
3. Hearty BBQ Meat Balls - I used this one quite often on my catering menu. People love eating them probably because they’re not just delicious they’re beef. The bbq sauce just give them an outstanding flavor. A great appetizer!
4. Mini Smoked Sausages - These sausages are also a crowd pleaser. Make sure you have enough on hand--they go fast.
5. Cold Spaghetti Salad - This dish is a real party favorite. It’s often served with hot or fried wings and helps stretch your menu. Another great party food.
6. Spinach Tortilla Mini Bites- A true crowd pleaser. Your guests will love these mini bites of spinach, ranch-style dressing, and bacon bits all mix in one roll. They also offer variety, texture, and a wonderful addition to any party menu. A wonderful finger food.
7. Ranch-style Angel Eggs – Yes, Angel eggs and not deviled eggs. Another catering menu favorite. For a more dressed up feel, add shredded cheddar cheese on top. My, my, what a treat!
8. Fresh Fruit Platter - No matter what type of food you’re used to serving, fresh fruit go with any menu in any culture. Don’t miss the opportunity to serve your guest what everyone love.
9. Shrimp Salad Spread - If your guests are shrimp lovers, they are going to love this recipe. It is sooooooo good until you just may want to double the recipe. A delicious and healthy spread.
10. Dill Salmon Spread - Another healthy treat for your guests and a great addition to any menu. Serve with crackers or raw veggies.
These recipes and many others can be found in my second cookbook, Unforgettable Appetizers. This cookbook was inspired when I catered in Wisconsin for the Milwaukee Bucks and other professional organizations. The recipes are quick and easy to follow and won’t take up much time to prepare.
Cassandra Harrell is a Soul Food Advisor and recently owned a soul food restaurant and catering service. She has conducted cooking classes and one-on-one sessions on preparing great soul food cuisine. Her new book, Soul Food Advisor is filled with her authentic recipes that she passed down to her family along with soul food cooking history. Please visit 0 the Cookbook Page and Author Bio.