8 Ways to Use Left-over-Ham
Soul Food Advice Column
November 16, 2016
After a big Thanksgiving feast, ham is always left on the table. So, what do you do all that ham? Well, I have a few ideas for leftover ham that you might want to try for your family.
1. Grilled ham and cheese sandwich - Add thin slices or pieces of ham with grilled cheese on bread.
2. Ham and Swiss Cheese Sandwich - Cut thin slices of ham and serve with Swiss cheese on bun.
3. Ham and Scrambled Egg Bake - Cut or dice chopped ham in with scrambled eggs.
4. Meat with fresh vegetables – Add chunks of ham to fresh vegetables while cooking. (The ham bone also offers great seasoning for hot vegetables). Ham is wonderful to use to season cabbage, lima beans, pinto beans, and field peas.
5. Fried ham - Cook ham in skillet with vegetable oil. Brown on each side; drain on paper towel. Add cooked rice and dinner rolls for a complete meal.
6. Baked Bean Meal - Cut chunks of ham and add to slow-cooked baked beans.
7. Ham Salad – Brighten up your salad by adding pieces of ham to a fresh garden salad.
8. Macaroni and Cheese Bake-- Add chopped ham to your macaroni and cheese recipe. This is a meal in itself.
Popular Thanksgiving Day Menu
Chicken and Corn Bread Dressing w Gravy
Baked Ham with Pineapples
Seasoned Green Beans
Sweet Potato Casserole
Macaroni and Cheese
Apple Pear Salad
Dinner Rolls/Corn Bread
Sweet Potato Pie or Lemon Chess Pie, Old-fashioned Pound Cake
Cassandra Harrell is a Soul Food Advisor and recently owned a soul food restaurant and catering service. This best-selling cookbook author and award-winning caterer have conducted cooking classes and one-on-one sessions on preparing great soul food cuisine. Her new book, Soul Food Advisor is filled with Harrell’s authentic recipes, iconic dishes, and irresistible flavors. Soul Food Advisor reveals the secrets of perfecting southern cooking, one dish at a time. Please visit the Author Bio and our Cookbook Page.